Your feet and ankles are the foundation of your body, and when these are not properly supported, it can affect your body and overall well-being. That is where custom orthotics come to the rescue.
Custom orthotics are personalized shoe inserts that are specially designed to fit the unique contour of your feet, proving support and alignment. Custom orthotics offer numerous benefits, from improving foot problems and biomechanics to enhancing your stability and reducing foot and ankle pain.
In this article, we will talk about how custom orthotics can help alleviate pain and improve mobility, and the different types of custom orthotics available. We will also explore the benefits of custom orthotics for foot and ankle support.
How Custom Orthotics Can Help Alleviate Pain and Improve Mobility
Custom orthotics are tailor-made to address the unique underlying cause of your foot pain and mobility.
Custom orthotics correct foot imbalances such as supination or overpronation, absorb shock, evenly redistribute pressure, reduce strain on injured areas, and promote proper foot mechanics. These factors contribute significantly to relieving pain and discomfort, allowing you to move freely and efficiently.
The Different Types of Orthotic Inserts Available
There are several types of orthotics available. Some of the more common types of orthotics are:
- Over-the-counter orthotics – OTC orthotics are widely available and affordable. They can be chosen based on your foot problem and shoe size.
- Kiosk-generated orthotics – These orthotics are made based on the scan of your foot. Based on your unique foot problem, your doctor recommends a particular size or style of such orthotics.
- Professional custom orthotics– These orthotics are designed by a foot and ankle specialist. For custom prescription orthotics, they take your complete health history, which includesan assessment of your weight, height, activity level, and health condition. Such orthotics can be made with materials like plastic, metal, and carbon fiber, and may include shoe inserts (rigid, semi-rigid, soft), heel casts, ankle braces, and foot braces.
Pros and Cons of Wearing Custom Orthotics
Wearing custom orthotics can offer many advantages that sometimes outweigh its potential disadvantages.
Some of the many advantages of custom orthotics are as follows:
- Improved biomechanical support
- Improved balance
- Pain relief
- Enhanced physical activity or athletic performance
- Accommodation of structural abnormality
- Proper body weight distribution
- Shock and pressure absorption
Some disadvantages of custom orthotics are as follows:
- High cost
- Limited shoe compatibility
- Potential reliance on orthotics for pain relief
Custom Orthotics In Warwick & Middletown, RI, & Fall River, MA
Custom orthotics can benefit your feet and ankle and overall health in many ways. If you have a foot and ankle condition or problem, consult a foot and ankle doctor to determine if custom orthotics are necessary for you.
At Foot and Ankle Institute of New England, we have a team of board-certified podiatrists who take your thorough health history and perform comprehensive physical exams to diagnose your unique foot and ankle condition. Based on your diagnosis, our foot and ankle doctors will develop a treatment plan, which may include custom orthotics.
If you would like to make an appointment with one of our podiatrists, call our staff today at any of our locations: (401) 738-7750 for Warwick; (508) 679-3700 for Fall River; or (401) 217-4444 for Middletown. You may also request an appointment by filling out our online request form.